Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Smiles at the DMV

-Well, I went with C to get his drivers license today. We anxiously sat there at the DMV waiting to hear his name called. When we heard his name, I smiled and quietly wished him good luck. While he was gone, I caught myself smiling again. As I looked around, I felt as though I was at the State Fair back in Kentucky. Actually there would have had to have been a lot of smoking and lots of missing teeth. Or maybe a day at Walmart. I'm such a people watcher. It was such a funny observation. I live in such a diverse place. Which I love!! There was every kind of outfit, hair do, old jeans, too small of jeans, fifteen year ago hair dos, etc. I love that we're all different.

About twenty minutes later, my teenager walks towards me with a huge smile on his face. Yes, he passed. On his first try.

My next observation made me smile once again. I saw a man standing in line waiting to take the written test. He an obvious burn victim, had grafting on his neck, his nose reconstructed, and some of his fingers missing. I found myself staring at him. I loved how he stood in line with confidence. I thought about how many people must stare at him in a day. We stare because we're curious. Just trying to figure it out. Seeing that man was like a tender mercy. After longing to tell Nie Nie that she was beautiful, I truly believe that that man was there so that I could have my chance. Well, after the week I've had, I knew that I had to do more than just stare and think to myself. I needed to think out loud. I quickly found a piece of scratch paper and wrote him a note. It said...

Dear Sir, I too was seriously burned several years ago. I smiled when I saw you. I admire your confidence and all that you've been through. I just want you to know that you're beautiful. Have a good afternoon.

I quickly handed him the note when our number was called to go get the license. C wondered why I felt an urgency to give this stranger a note. All I could say was, "I really feel like I'm supposed to do this." As I walked away I was on a high that I haven't felt in a long time. I got thinking, maybe this is how I can help for now.

Finally, as we sat down at the counter with our information. The man asked for $3. What? It's only $3? Trust me, that brought another smile to my face. Nothing at the DMV is that cheap!

It was a great day at the DMV. Smiles all around.

2 comments:

Lorilee said...

A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to CORBIN! I am proud of him. That is neat that he passed on the first try. He must have had some great car instructors.

That was thoughtful of you to give a note to that guy. I am sure it made him smile as well.

Lynn said...

That was nice of you to pass that man the note. I got teary eyed. *sniff sniff*.