Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New things

I've witnessed, experienced and thought new things the last couple of days.

First, I love cross country. I love that my boys are running for their school this year. A has enjoyed running for years and C is doing it to be conditioned for lacrosse season. I love that my boys have been running for months now and have never come home with any complaints about jerks, bullies, smack, porno, swearing, and all the other crap that goes along with the football and lacrosse teams. Today the boys had a meet at our home course. We lined the course cheering on each of our runners. Every single one. I mean really cheering for them. Encouraging them. And then you realize that you're cheering for the runners from the other schools as well. Cheering for them because they're way behind everyone else, but you admire their dedication and perseverance to finish the race. It's been such a positive experience for my boys.

Secondly, with homecoming around the corner, I've heard moms talking and bragging about their boys and how they asked, who they asked and what they're doing for homecoming. Seriously. It's the boys dance. Can we just be in our 30s and 40s and quit comparing to make ourselves feel better about ourselves. I can't believe how manipulative and sneaky some moms are to get their daughters asked to a dance as well. It's crazy. All you young ones, you wait. Or just remove yourself when the time comes. I'm learning that all these dances, dates and parties are more for the mom's self-esteem than the kid's.

Third, I now know what I want to be when I grow up. It's about time. I told my therapist that I want to be her partner some day and change peoples lives like she has mine. I even told that to D tonight. He thought it was a good idea. I'll be looking into it.

-----

Have you all dug out your nikes for Keltson's Run this Saturday? I'll be there with my mom and sister-in-law S. It's not too late to sign up so go do it. See you Saturday.

6 comments:

aunt jan said...

Ditto on the "too involved" moms of the world. All the drama is stirred up by bystanders who should quietly excuse themselves from the scene. I hope this is a great experience for C! No limos please, C. You're too cool already.

Lorilee said...

I am glad that you are enjoying the Cross Country experience. I know I did in High School, and hope that I will have a runner or two in my bunch.

Don't worry about C. Things will work out and he will find a group, and you (he) won't have to spend a mint.

I am glad that you have figured out what you are going to do when you grow up. It sounds like a great idea. Good luck with it.

Amy said...

I haven't thought too much about the dances and such as we are still a few years away. And homeschooling... I'm not even sure how we'll handle that. We've been tossing around ideas about having a "Family Gala" and invite families for a black tie event. It would be an opportunity to socialize and learn how to behave in real world situations. We'll see.

So. Skype.

Have you figured it out yet? It's great! Download for free and we can video conference anytime for free! Perfect. So get to downloading girl.

Thanks for your comment on my post. I worked really hard on it. So I appreciate the feedback.

I love reading your posts. I think you'd be a great therapist. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it's going.

Em said...

I really liked this post. It made me laugh! People asking other people on dates makes me giggle!

I love that you want to be a therapist. Making people feel better about themselves is a dream job!

LeAnne said...

Dates are silly. Tell C not to go. It's better to wait until after his mission. :) J.K. High school dates are fun!

Cheri said...

Offer C money not to go.. that's what I did with Ryan--he has yet to take me up on it though.