Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Kansas

Once we left Oklahoma City, it only seemed fitting to watch "The Wizard of Oz" while driving the few hours to our destination in Kansas.  I loved seeing the fields of sunflowers again.  Too bad we just whizzed by.  We were sure that we'd see another one, but nope.




We had a lot of fun visiting my sister and her family.  We really enjoyed the hundred degree weather with humidity.  hehe  We tried to warn the kids about humidity but it's hard to describe it.  It was funny hearing my kids saying that they were hot.  That's when I pointed out that "that was humidity".  The kids played with all kinds of homemade swords, light sabres and had an awesome water fight.  





They discovered lightning bugs or fireflies, (It depends on which part of the country you're in.)  They thought it was great when they caught one, and were sad when they smashed one.  


The kids had a blast with the best fireworks ever.  Nothing was illegal there, so they shot off all kinds of huge sky fireworks for a dollar each.  That was crazy.  


D enjoyed playing a game of risk with the boys and then treated everyone to Klondike bars afterwards.  Did you know that a game can last four hours?



Of course I was on cardinal watch the entire time we were there but it was hard since we were always inside due to the heat and humidity.  It's easiest to listen for their sound and then follow it to find one.  Just before leaving, I went outside determined to find me a cardinal.  I listened and listened and then recognized that beloved chirp.  I headed down the street barefooted a few houses until I ended up in someones front yard.  I could tell what tree the cardinal was in but I couldn't see it even while scanning the tree with my big zoom lense.  So, I helped myself through the yard, zoomed in some more and there he was.  Yay!!



I loved the time to just sit and visit with my sister.  I was so glad that we could go out and see her.  Thanks J for taking such good care of us.  We had a great time.  I love you.



Next stop;  Chimney Rock, Nebraska

No comments: