Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

Today I took the kids to a nearby small town that I knew had a Veteran Cemetery.  I wanted to do something with the kids regarding Memorial Day other than just swim and have a bbq today.  

I don't know how we keep lucking out, but we showed up to the cemetery which was a lot larger than I expected and as we arrived a program was just beginning.  We heard groups sing songs, the different branches of military were recognized, a woman shared her thoughts, the twenty one gun salute, and planes flew over head.  It was very neat.  The kids and I were talking about how neat it would be to see if they as scouts could help place the flags over the markers next year.  As we were walking back to the car, we asked a man if we could help gather the flags.  He said that we could and that they would appreciate the help of gathering over 25,000 flags from the cemetery.  We walked up and down several rows and gathered arm full after arm full of flags.  It was so special and the high light of today.  Such an honor.  So grateful for those that have served our country.





No comments: