Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Good Friends

Have you ever had a friend that is exactly one foot shorter than you? It's hilarious! I love it. My dear friend (only friend) from college is just that. We giggle about it when we're together. We laugh when we go to hug each other. We haven't seen each other a whole lot in the last fifteen years. Maybe five or six times. But we have a ball when we get together.

She's amazing. You should hear her sing. Someday you will. Probably at the beginning of a Utah Jazz game. And when she does, I'll be there screaming, "She's my friend!"

She 'knew' I was pregnant with C before others knew. Only because I was sicker than a dog on a choir trip. We laugh about that too.

Though far away, she was there for me when I needed her. I remember telling her "my story" and both of us crying. Trying to explain how I felt, how I had grown, just trying to put things into words.

We've talked of being mothers, about our children, our great spouses. We've talked about moving, building houses, jobs, schooling, and careers. We've talked more about my kids, her kids, and my kids, my kids, my kids...only because I kept having them.

Things are different now. And they probably will be for awhile. She lost her oldest son in October. Just six weeks before he was leaving for his LDS mission. As I was on the phone with her this evening, I mostly listened. Listened to her talk of dealing with her new life. Taking it day to day and sometimes hour to hour. She spoke of the many blessings and miracles their family has seen. She recognizes the Lord's patience with her. On occasion, I did hear a laugh that I'm familiar with. She's healing. She can have as long as she needs. There's no time frame for that. I so desperately wanted to jump through the phone and help her. Help her fix everything. But I can't. All I can do is continue to pray for her and her cute family.

To my dearest 4'11" friend. I love you. You are amazing. You are in my prayers. You have taught me much. I've been a better mother because of you. I've looked at each of my children differently. I've looked at them the way that you talk of K. Hugs and more hugs. I love you.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

You're a great friend.

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing. I think I'll go hug my kids a little {or a lot}. My prayers are with your friend too.

Lorilee said...

That was nice what you said about A. I am sure she would appreciate it. Isn't amazing how some friends are there for you right until the end. I know that is how you are to many. Thanks for sharing.

Erika said...

It's great to have wonderful friends. My thoughts and prayers are with your friend as well. I enjoyed your post.

And as to your break question...Miss B broke her leg at 3 years old, so this is number 2 break at our household.