Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Goodbye my friend

Hmmm. Where to start.

A dear friend of mine is moving in just a couple of days. Not just moving to another ward or a larger house. She's really moving. She's moving onto the next phase of her life. She's sceptical and apprehensive, and not quite sure if she can do it. Oh my heavens, I'm bawling my head off.
I'm excited for her. I've done that before. That being far from home thing and experiencing another culture than the one you're familiar with. I've told her that she'll learn to love what she'll soon call "home". She'll make new friends, she'll get to where she can understand the "language", she'll learn how to fry foods, she'll get to see lots of new things, and she'll learn to love the people.
Thing is...I'm really going to miss her. She's helped me become a better mom to my younger kids. She's my very own personal calendar. She calls me frequently to remind me of storybook time, preschool carpools, park days, snack schedules, and the list goes on and on and ON! She's the friend that I bawled my eyes out to the other day. She was so cute, she brought over her own Mother's Day flowers for me. I must have sounded really bad. She's checked up on me to see if I've improved.

She makes the best frosted banana squares in the world. I'll miss those showing up periodically.

I can't even think of going to Enrichment Meetings without her. She was my reality show junkie that would sneak out with me just in time to catch Survivor. We would sit in the car and laugh about how much we didn't want to go but we'd show up with our yummy foods and giggle on our way in. Once we even had a secret code for when the time came to high tail it out of there. She was to pull on her ear. I had forgotten the secret code and when I saw her tug on her ear from across the room I started teasing her loudly wondering what the heck she was doing with her ear. Oh we had a GOOD laugh at that one.

Although just a few months a part, our oldest children will be graduating next year. Mine from high school and hers from kindergarten. My kids thought she was WAY younger than me last week because of it.

She has great things tucked away in her garage. If I ever need anything like a gift or a last minute decoration, I just call her up and ask her what she has laying around that I can use. She's really saved me.

She has connections. She scored me the best seats for General Conference last fall. I don't know that I would ever have gone without knowing her. It fulfilled a life long dream and to think I could share it with my kids was amazing!
She sends the funniest and most sarcastic emails ever. I love them. Keep them coming!

Goodbye my friend. I'll miss you. Thanks for being you and all the things that you do! Your adventure will be great! Can't wait to hear all about it. I love you.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow! What a wonderful friend to be blessed with!! I know too well what it is like to leave friends that make your life better. My only words of comfort are that the internet, blogs, facebook, etc have helped keep my friendship with my BFF going strong even though we are separated. It's not the same, but it helps!