Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Being strong

What a weekend! It was awesome.

So, back in March, my siblings and I were all together at my sister's house laughing our heads off and having fun together. Next thing we knew, we were all talking about the St. George marathon coming up and how neat would it be for us to sign up and run it together. Five of us agreed to run it. All of our names were drawn out and we each made our running schedules and began training months ago.

Over the course of the next few weeks I couldn't stand it any longer and headed to a podiatrist to share my concerns of an injured toe. I was told that I couldn't run. My heart sank as I realized my dream of running the marathon with my siblings would no longer be a reality.

In July, a brother realized that he too wouldn't be able to run the marathon. I think he was secretly excited about it though. He had already run the marathon two years earlier and had nothing to prove or scratch off his bucket list.

As the weeks have gone by, I've known that everyone has been training and adding to their weekly miles. I've been excited for them.

So finally, the marathon happened this past weekend. All seven of us kids in one place from around the country there to support each other.

(We're at a restaurant after the race. Pray no one has curtains in their home like these!)

There were several of us there cheering on our three marathoners. I was so proud of each of them. I know how hard they have trained these last few months. As I watched runner after runner cross the finish line I couldn't help but feel a little jealous that I too wasn't also crossing that finish line. I pictured myself crossing with my arms up saying "I did it" with tears streaming down my face. Some day perhaps.

I couldn't help but notice so many people being strong this weekend. From the marathoners, to meeting up with an old friend that is stronger after going through what she's gone through, to the actual reminder of "Be Strong" in General Conference, and even noticing something in myself. I may not have crossed that finish line on Saturday, but I'm finding strength in myself and doing something that I've wanted for a long time. I'm proving to myself that I can do it.

2 comments:

aunt jan said...

Hey, those are MY curtains!

Cheri said...

great words!! thanks for sharing.