Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Birthdays and Bashes

It's hard to believe that 18 years ago today, I began bawling when my mom told me that I would have the baby "today" after my water broke. I was fine being pregnant my entire life because it had NEVER been in the plans to EVER deliver a baby. That was just something I was never going to do. But...baby had to come out and I've done it several times since. lol

We had a busy day planned and not much time for C's birthday, so I made every attempt to make it special. I surprised he and his early morning seminary class with maple bars and chocolate milk this morning. His favorites. Then I made him "Sister Makanoa's Cake" which is actually "Better than anything cake". You know, devil's food cake with Eaglebrand poured over it, caramel sauce on top of that, cool whip and then broken Heath bar. Pure goodness. He does have good tast. Then it was on to making Burek. Remember my last post about my friend Jasminka? After writing that, I looked all over on line with hopes of finding a recipe similar to hers for the Burek we had come to love. After looking and looking I found a blog of a woman that shared the recipe and detailed pictures of the Burek. I was ecstatic. Almost to the point of tears. I made Burek for lunch today and surprised him with it when he got home for lunch. His eyes lit up and he was sooo excited for the food he never thought he would have again.
I just sat at the table across from him watching him taste his first bite with anticipation. He loved it. He wanted the whole world to have the recipe because it was so good. I couldn't wait any longer. I too had to try the Burek. It was such an emotional thing. It seems silly but I know it was a tender mercy from the Lord to have found the blog just in time for C's birthday. They were delicious. Just as we had both remembered. They tasted just like Jasminka's miracle Bureks that she had made for us.

As the day continued, I made two pans of Pumpkin Streusel Cheesecake Bars for Trunk or Treat tonight. They. Are. Divine!! Then, I continued to work on Halloween costumes. That's all I've done for days. You wouldn't necessarily know it by looking at the costumes, but, they were a lot of work. Sewing, mending, unpicking hair off a mask for wolf hands and tail, painting, spray painting, making and axe, more sewing, dying, tying, doing hair, etc. But...everyone looked great. It was all worth it.
2 year old Tinkerbell

3 year old Snow White

5 year old Wolf

9 year old Lumberjack

11 year old Harry Potter


Cinderella

The Silver Statue/moves and dances for money guy

The Three Princesses


After Trunk or Treat was over, we all raced home to watch Survivor. It's a family tradition. Then, I was happy to see that C had pulled out his Burek for the third time today while watching.

I think it was a good day. I love you C. I couldn't have asked for a better oldest son. Happy Birthday.

4 comments:

aunt jan said...

Exhausted just reading of your day. But the rewards were shown in the pics. And a mighty striking Cinderella lives at your house. Be sure the Silver Money Guy knows that. Silly me, I bet he has already noticed.

Erika said...

Happy Birthday C! Loved the costumes...they look awesome! Great job! D cracks me up. Also, I looked at the recipe for the pastries...holy cow woman, that looks like a PROCESS! Kudos!

Lynn said...

What cute princesses! Love the costumes!

Amy said...

Love all the costumes! You talented woman you! And I loved yours the best!