Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You're not forgotten

C is in the nation's capital today.  I've had this unexplainable feeling of reverence all day knowing that he is in Washington D.C.and Arlington, VA.   I love that city.  Actually, all that it means to those of us that love the United States of America.  And I do

I think of my eighteen year old son walking from one memorial to the next.  Hoping that he's taking it all in and appreciating all that we have as Americans.  Hoping that I've taught him to love our country and veterans enough.  Hoping that he too has those feelings of reverence as he witnesses for himself the different war memorials, monuments, grave sites, past presidents, and possibly the flag that inspired, "The Star Spangled Banner". 

Actually, I found myself crying earlier today in the Marshall's parking lot thinking about those that have served our country.  I can't wait to hear about C's experience there.

A year ago I made the announcement that I was going to have a quarenta-era on my birthday this year. I know I told you to be looking for your dresses, but I've had a change of heart.   I'm learning that I'm evolving and that becoming 40 is wonderful in so many ways that we don't hear about.  I do love a gorgeous dress, glam, and dress up.  But as much as I loved the quinceƱera dress that triggered that whole thing, I'm dreaming of something larger.  Something more meaningful.  Something that really is me at this point in my life and that I want to pass down for generations to come.

I've interviewed my family veterans this year.  I've so enjoyed it.  I've learned things that I've never known.  I've gotten an even greater appreciation for those that serve.  I feel like I need to make others aware of those that have served or are serving our country.  My children and I always remember our family veterans each Veteran's Day.  But I can do more.  WE can do more.  It's about making others aware.  Remembering them so that they're not forgotten.  Remembering our country and how freedom isn't free.

I'm going to be doing something great for Veteran's Day instead.  I'm thrilled.  Start now and think about those veterans in your life.  Think about how you can remember them and how you can create awareness for those that have served and not just think of it as a "day off".

Care to join me and my family on my "40th" celebration?  I'll be celebrating my 40th becoming me on Veteran's Day, November 11th.  Let me know if you're in.  Let me know if you can help.  Let me know if you're willing to create awareness for those that have helped keep our country free. 

Thank you Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and all those that have served our country or helped other nations.  My son is there today and has seen your memorials.  I can't help but remember the time I walked through history fourteen years ago when I was there and the feelings I had as I stood in front of each memorial.  It was much more than just seeing the statues, the buildings, the grave sites, and the monuments.  I felt a certain reverence.  An appreciation.  A feeling of gratitude.  A longing to return someday.  I will.  But today, it is my son's turn.  I'm so grateful that he has this opportunity to see one of the neatest things one can ever witness and experience.

You're not forgotten.

No comments: