Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

I never should have left the cul-de-sac

Last week for S's birthday, the kids talked her into going to Panda Express for dinner.  After eating and heading back out to the car, we ran into a lady that quickly introduced herself to me.  Not too long into the conversation I was worried that she thought I was somebody else.  So, I played along hoping that she wouldn't ever catch on to the fact that I wasn't who she thought I was.  When in fact, I was who she thought I was.  She had seen a couple of my boys out playing recently and realized that she had never met me.  I laughed and laughed at the thought of never knowing her after being neighbors for nine years.  She laughed and laughed at the fact that I need to let my children out to play and that we have really good people in our neighborhood.  Needless to say, I left the conversation feeling a little dumb.  Feeling like the entire neighborhood knows about the big family that the mom never lets her children out of the cul-de-sac.  

Later that night I thought about things.  I have no need to apologize for that.  I have several children that all enjoy playing together.  I live IN the cul-de-sac and I have a big back yard that cost as much as my entire property across the street for my children to play in.  Plus, my children haven't wanted to play with all the neighbor kids because of their swear mouths.  And I might add, why would my nineteen, sixteen, twelve and ten year old boys want to be out playing with her six year old son and five year old daughter?  I decided right then and there that I would stick up for myself if the topic ever came up again.

The next morning the dad and the five year old daughter showed up at my front door.  I greeted them and then the dad asked what time he should be back to pick her up.  Trying my hardest not to have the most confused face I've ever had in my life, I said that she could play for about an hour and then I would have to leave to pick up B from preschool.  So, he left, she and S played, and then he returned to pick up his daughter.  While walking out, the little girl said that she wanted to play again.  He told her that they could come back in a couple of hours.  And they did!  She returned and played another two hours.  As cute as the little girl is, and as much fun as the two of them had, I right then told myself, "I never should have left the cul-de-sac!!"  I mean seriously.  What in the heck was going on?  I mean, I am a stranger to them.  They don't know anything about me and he left his daughter with me TWICE in ONE day!  

I called my sister this morning telling her that I was scared of my very own doorbell.  We laughed and laughed.  And then the doorbell rang.  There she was.  "She" wanted to come say hi.  So, we had another play date today.  I'm wondering how this whole things works.  I can't say that the girls haven't had fun and the little girl is a cute and good little girl.  But this is weird!  I can't say that I want my girls to go over there because I don't know them at all and my girls won't be there with the dad watching them.  I'm wondering if I'm the "take her over there so I can get in a nap before my night shift" neighbor or what.  I guess we'll just have to see how this all plays out.  All I know is that I don't want to be known as the big family on the cul-se-sac that never plays with anyone and they pretend that they're not home all the time.  I really don't want it to come to that.  

Wish me luck.  As for right now....I'm good never leaving my cul-de-sac again.  I like it here.  Or rather, I like not being people's babysitter.  I do enough of that already.  

No comments: