Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sending hugs and prayers your way

I got a text at 5:02 this morning.  After seeing that the text actually didn't come through, I placed my phone back on my nightstand and fell asleep.  A couple hours later after dropping A off at seminary, I sent a text to my friend asking her what the heck she was trying to text me at 5:02 in the morning; with a smiley of course. :)

And then I got a response that set the tone for the rest of my day.  My good friend sent a text back saying that her twelve year old son died yesterday in a tragic accident at their home.  I've been sick about it all day.   Sick at the text I sent her.  Sick at the thought of her losing her oldest child.  Sick at the thought of the accident.  Worried sick for my dear friend.  I'm over a thousand miles away and of no help where I am.  I can only pray that she and her family feel my prayers.

I looked at each of my children differently today.  Actually I looked at every single middle school child today at pick up differently.  Looking at them as someone's child and wondering when they might leave.  I've watched the way that I speak to my children, the tone I use and how many hugs I've given throughout the day.

I finally found a two hour block today and raced up to the temple for more prayers for my friend.  Earnestly praying that they might find comfort, be able to sleep, not have any feelings of guilt, and to be able to go on, because I don't know how you do that.

My dear friend, I love you.  I have always loved you since the first day I met you all those years ago.  Your smile, the way you compliment me and make me feel like a million bucks.  The way you're real with me.  How you found time for me when I needed a friend more than any other time in my life up to that point.  I'm sure you're doubting yourself and wondering if you can do it.  You can.  You are stronger than you give yourself credit for.  You have a huge support system around you fanning out thousands of miles away.  Sending hugs and prayers your way.  Love you!

1 comment:

Erika said...

Oh that's awful! I can't even imagine. I am so sorry for your friend and I'll keep her in my prayers too. I have also been thinking of tone with my kids and how much positive feedback I am giving them. I will re-double my efforts! Thanks!