Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The most edible

The last couple of days I've labored in the shop making yet another pinewood derby car. Ya, just me and my tools. Nothing like a handsaw in the kitchen. (I can't tell you how many times I've done that.) I think this is car #11. I'm about worn out. Oh no, not the labor part. Heavens no! lol Just coming up with 11 different cars over the years.

Anyway...this year I threw out the idea of just putting the wheels on the thing of wood and turning it in. J loved the idea and A was sold on it. I giggled and laughed thinking all was great but then remembered my reputation was on the line. I ran it by D but he was in shock at such a lazy excuse of a pinewood derby car. Ya, I knew better.

So, I thought and I thought. Finally, it came to me. I wouldn't have to do a single cut on this year's car. We would be making a 3 Musketeer candy bar for our car. It was ingenious. I got on it right away. How does one make a candy bar car one might ask? With a potato peeler of course.

No need for sanding for hours when you can just "peel" the top two corners off and then sand. It was brilliant. Then, it needed a bite taken out of it. So I drilled and I sanded until, "Oi la".

Bite mark, can of spray paint, a squirt of light tan for the foamy center and BAM! This year's Pinewood Derby Car that earned the award of, "The most edible".

It seemed as though people were shocked when they saw the 3 Musketeer win its first race. Not me. No way. I knew that I had made a sweeeet car. Don't you dare call it a Ding Dong or a Cup Cake or a Snickers! It's a 3 Musketeer. Know your candybars people!
And FYI, you always want one of my boys cheering for you. It's ridiculous!

11 down. 4 to go.

2 comments:

aunt jan said...

My sweet tooth started to ache just as I began reading and soon found out why. "Invention is the mother of pinewood derby cars because of necessity." I think that's how the quote goes.... And Pinewood Derby Mom: you rock! And roll.

Erika said...

Oh! Awesome!!