Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Joy to the World

The other day I was telling myself that this year I was going to say, "Merry Christmas" rather than Happy Holidays when out shopping.  But then my very sensitive to others self, shyed away from it thinking that it might not be a "Merry Christmas" for everyone.  Like, what if they were having financial hardships, a family member battling cancer, loss of a loved one, etc.  I just thought it was easy for me to say that since I was having a great Christmas with my son just before he leaves on his mission. 
But, that is when the Spirit taught me differently.  All of us in a way, are going through hardships.  Some, harder and more trying than others.  But Christmas time is the time to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  I mean really, that's why we sing, "Joy To The World" with such enthusiasm.  It's not because we have found the perfect gifts, or are gathered around the table for Christmas dinner, or I have my missionary one last time.  It's because we know that we have been given the greatest gift in the world. 

The holidays are fun.  They are full of tradition.  Advent calendars, The Christmas Eve Elf, The Food Fairy, Christmas lights, Christmas Eve dinner, the children lining up at the top of the stairs Christmas morning, reading Luke 2 on Christmas Eve, etc.  They are traditions.  NOT what makes Christmas Merry.  Jesus Christ is why I will be wishing people a Merry Christmas this year.  He is what I will be teaching my children about. 

There will be Christmas' in the future where things are not so perfect.  I hope that my children and I can then remember that.  That we can find the Joy in Christmas.  Because if we can, Christmas will always be perfect.

Now I'm off to listen to Joy to the World and Handel's Messiah.  My favorite music of all time.

Merry Christmas everybody and Joy to the World!!

1 comment:

Brittney for Kansas said...

The food fairy! I want a food fairy at my house during the holidays. Love the blog!