Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

little g's baptism day

Today was little g's baptism day.  It was perfect.  It was slightly overcast, we had a bunch of family come in to town to attend, my children all participated, A was a witness and was able to be in the circle, and D did a great job baptizing and confirming him.



I asked little g who he wanted to speak on the Holy Ghost.  He chose his roommate J.  It was so sweet. Here is J's talk....

"little g, Madeline and Will, I have some questions to ask you and I want you to think about them in your head. Okay?

Who speaks in a still, small voice that is sometimes felt more than heard?

Who can bring a feeling of comfort and peace when you are sad, lonely, or frightened?

Who brings a warm, sweet feeling into your heart when you think about Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father?

Who can help teach you right and wrong?

Who encourages you to do nice things for others?

Who can help you understand and remember the scriptures?

The answer to all of these questions is the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead.  He has a body of spirit rather than of flesh and bones.  Because He is a spirit, you cannot see Him.  But you can feel Him with you.  He can dwell inside you.  Here I have a paper bag* that looks like me.  (hold up the bag) 


This flashlight is like the Holy Ghost and can fill the bag or our souls with light and warmth.  (hold up the flashlight, turn it on, and hold it in the bag) Sometimes it is possible to see the light through the bag.  This is like the Holy Ghost brightening our souls and making us happy.

The Holy Ghost has many names.  Some of them are the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of the Lord, and the Comforter.

After you are baptized, you are confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and you receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Having this neat gift means that if you live righteously, you can have the Holy Ghost with you always.  The Holy Ghost can bring feelings of warmth, love, peace, joy, and wanting to do good.  When you feel the Holy Ghost with you, thank Heavenly Father for this blessing.  The Holy Ghost is one of the greatest gifts Father in Heaven can give you.

Before we have friends over play, or my mom and dad are hosting a party, or even like this weekend when we had family come to visit, we try to get our house and yard all perfect.  We help my mom clean up, sometimes my mom redecorates  paints walls, or does projects to make the house and yard look better.  A lot of times my mom will make better food when we have people over to visit.  So, we pretty much do a lot of things to get ready for people to come over.  We like the house to look nice and we want our friends and family to feel welcome.

The Holy Ghost will be a special friend to you.  To invite the Holy Ghost to be with you, you can sincerely pray and ask Heavenly Father to send Him.  Just like our family gets ready for friends and family to come visit, you can prepare for Him by remembering Jesus Christ, choosing the right, and keeping the commandments.

Now that you are baptized, you will be given the gift of the Holy Ghost.  If you keep the commandments, the Holy Ghost can be your constant companion.  The Holy Ghost can comfort you in times of trouble, he can teach you, he can help you remember important things, and testify of the truths of the gospel.  Here are some situations in which the Holy Ghost could bless you:  You have studied hard for a test but are afraid you won't remember what you've studied   Someone in your family has died, and you are sad.  You have read and studied the Book of Mormon and want to know if it is true.  You have prepared a talk for church but are afraid that you will be nervous and forget what comes next.  You are in a store and wonder if you should take some candy without paying for it.  Your father lost his job, and you are worried.

The Holy Ghost can help you with all of those things.  Just this past March, I read the entire Book of Mormon.  My mom told me that after I read it, I should pray to know if it was really true.  She told me that if I really prayed to Heavenly Father, expressed my gratitude, had faith with nothing wavering, and stayed on my knees after my prayer was finished, I would receive my answer. She told me that I probably wouldn't hear a voice telling me that, "Jackson, the Book of Mormon is true!", but that good thoughts would come to my mind and I would KNOW that my prayer was answered.  I went up to my room and kneeled down next to my bed just as my mom had told me.  I prayed and then waited for my answer.  Then it came.  The answer was, "that you know it is true and you have great faith".

I am grateful that I have the gift of the Holy Ghost and that He is there whenever I need him.  I know that He will be there for you too as you prepare to invite him into your lives as one of your best friends.

Testimony"

So grateful for my children, our supportive families, little g's excitement, and the perfect day that was so not perfect.  Makes me so happy.  

*art done by Grandma B

Parts of talk were taken from sharing time ideas in 1997

No comments: