Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

G's questions

I loaded up the five younger kids today and we raced out to the big boys cross country meet. As we're driving down main street of this small town near by, G asks, "Are we in the gutter?". It wasn't the cutest part of town and I soon realized that he was asking, "Are we in the ghetto?" I told him no and corrected the word for future reference.

Well, down mainstreet a ways, the kids were laughing at what was being called a "motel". They asked, "Are those REALLY motels?" I guess you don't see those kinds of motels around here. It was definately a small tourist town thing. lol

G and I were talking about someone we met today. He was shocked that I assumed they were "Mormon". He wondered why I said that. My response was, "Well, if they come from a family of eight and grew up in Salt Lake, they probably are. He then asked, "Why do Mormons have big families?" I told him that families are a big deal to us as Mormons. He then asked his final question, "So, does Heavenly Father just keep sending babies to Mormons so they'll have big families?" I said, "no". That's when I decided that my ten year old was ready for a talk. ThE talk.

You know the one. The one where you explain that Doctors don't pull the babies from your belly button, how the stork is just in the movies, and how Mormons don't just get sent babies so that they'll/we'll have large families. Otherwise known as "The Birds and the Bees".

I'll have to put it on my calendar.

As for assuming the whole "Mormon" thing...the person that I met today did the same thing about me too. I'm sure of it. After I told her that I had seven children, she asked if I was from Utah. Love it and proud of it!

2 comments:

aunt jan said...

I thought, wow, #5 boy is very mature to be ready for THAT talk, then I realized #3 is a G too....

Em said...

I bet THAT was fun!! :) I too am proud to be a MORMON!