Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

He said that he was proud of me

Did you watch Oprah today? I haven't watched in years, but I put it on the calendar to watch today after seeing Stephanie say that she was going to be on it.

D and I sat together on the couch and watched it today. It was beautiful. She was beautiful. There was a comment made about the way her husband Christian looked at her. How he adored her, how he just wanted "to eat her up", how he was proud of her when she cut an apple, and how he really loved her. They emphasized how he really is proud of her and how she's gotten back to doing things.

Stephanie told of how he rescued her from the burning plane. He was her hero really.

This is where my story differs. My amazing husband has been guilt ridden for years. Due to a freak accident, my legs caught some burning alcohol that he threw back to the sink, not knowing that I was standing there. I've never blamed him, gotten after him, complained, or even asked, "Why?".

That was a really lonely time. Not only was D right in the middle of his hardest semester of his life, but he being burdened with unneccesary guilt, I couldn't share all that I was going through with him. I wanted so badly to turn to my husband and cry my eyes out telling him all that I was experiencing. I did to some degree because you can't hide it! But out of respect for him, I didn't share a lot which was hard. Fortunately I knew I had a Father in Heaven that would always listen and be there for me. That's when I grew more than I ever thought possible. That's when I became the woman I am today.

I've kind of felt lonely the last thirteen years. It's been a topic that we haven't discussed a whole lot together. I want to discuss it! It was monumental.

In just the past few months, he told me that he shared part of the story in his lesson at church. That was the first time that he had told someone voluntarily. I thought, "Wow, he's finally getting over it." I was so excited to hear that.

Today as Oprah was wrapping up the segment with Stephanie, D said to me,

"I'm proud of you and how you've gotten back."

I can't even put my thoughts into words. I have to be careful. But one thing is for sure, I will remember that for the rest of my life. That, made me feel like a couple that went through something together. He's healing. I'm smiling. Actually... maybe I'm healing.

I love you D.

3 comments:

aunt jan said...

So proud of both of you.

Angelie said...

i love your posts :) they either make me laugh, smile, cry or all at the same time :) thanks :)

Cheri said...

This is great. I to love your posts. It's unfortunate that I had to divorce Oprah when she started sharing her political views so openly but I would have liked to see this show..